Say that 5 times fast...
The Trying Times of a sad/mad/confused/MY WAY NOW little man has been a daily dose of tylenol in this house. And in the store. And in the car.
And it amazes me how quickly he turns it on. Then moments later, with tears rolling down his cheeks, a smile and a giddy jump ensues when the promise of a lollipop ("Lottibop!") or chocolate ("ohhh, chalk-ette!") enter his precious, selectively hearing ears...
And it's not just the whine/moan/scream...sometimes it goes into head banging on the floor, biting his own hand, or even slapping his own face.
I don't like this behavior. Not a fan.
And I certainly don't want to just, "Here, have the flippin' lolllipop! Just stop hurting yourself and STOP WHINING!!" Because any behavior modification 101 person would tell you NOT to give in to a tantrum. "Don't reinforce the negative behavior!!"
But, honestly? I couldn't even tell you how many times I've just handed over the bucket of lollipops that live on the top shelf of our pantry at 7am -even before he has to ask. He just opens the pantry door and points to the halloween bucket that the prized sugar-on-a-stick rests.
(I am weak at 7am. And Milo has caught onto this. You want a chocolate cake and 72 oreos? Fine...and here's a case of Merlot to pair with it.)
I justify this by knowing he will eat his organic, gluten free, low sodium, no artificial preservatives or additives cereal -paired nicely with his organic 2% milk for breakfast. And recently? I've turned him on to the vegetarian "chicken" nuggets. And he'll drink up the Odwalla "superfood" beverage. Thank you, Jesus...
So, really, *I win* when I hand him a lollipop first thing in the morning. Sort of...

No comments:
Post a Comment