Monday, September 20, 2010

conceptual semantics

"So, how's the daycare situation going?"

GREAT! 

So, regarding the whole daycare part deux. It's going well.  I guess.  Milo hasn't come home complaining of being bitch slapped, starved, bored or marinating in his own shit for 3 hours.

And those are very good signs.

However, he has caught on to the new route we take in the mornings.  He now understands that if we turn "left" we're going to daycare, and subsequently being dropped off for the day.  If we stay straight then we are going to the gym and the whole day is reminiscent of my SAHM days.

So, now we have a whiny "OH NOOOOOOOO" boy in the backseat when I make the left turn, as he frantically points in the other direction.

"Milo, you're going to school today!!!"

                                   "Noooooooooo!!! Schooooooooool!!"

"Suck it up, kid.  You'll be in school for the next 20 years. Besides, school for you means art, storytime, learning about colors/shapes/days of the week, free play, friends, and playground time. I think you'll be FINE.  OKAaaaaaaaY! STOP WHINING!!!"

This doesn't work well on a few different levels, so I try a different tactic:

"Milo, you're going to daycare today!!!"


                                        "Daycare? Daycare? Daycare!!!

And he's fine. No whining, no kicking. Just Chill.

So, I don't get the whole "school" vs. "daycare" phenomenon.  But we go with what works.

No comments: