Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I can admit when I'm wrong. Just not now...

Being a parent of a boy and all, I'm understanding more and more when they say, "he's ALL BOY."

And, of course, it's a good thang, but damn, does it urge me to stay in touch with my tom boy side...

Not that I was ever a girly girl.  I didn't get my first manicure until I was 25.  Didn't get my eyebrows waxed until I saw my High School Senior pics (18yo) and my mom made a lovely comment about my bushy uni-brow...

Didn't shave my legs until last week.

I joke...I joke...

So here's this son 'o mine who:
Bungee jumps-like off the couch and bed.
He'll attempt to climb trees, arms up, pleading the branches for "up, up, up!"
He gets in his little car and scoot himself down little hills of the sidewalk, like a roller coaster.
Climbs up ladders at the playground and slides down head first...
He'll do "surprise trust falls" on unsuspecting friends.
Proudly shoves his finger up his nose and giggles hysterically when I redirect the hand and say "ewwww..."
Puts his hand down his diaper...while watching T.V.
Squats in the bathtub, watches himself pee and/or poo, then looks up with a big grin of pride on his face
Could care less about dirt.  Or scraped knees.  Or dirt-ridden toes or fingernails...
And then there's this. Where did he learn this from. DAD?!

What I do appreciate is when my little human wrecking ball bumps his head, falls, or otherwise causes himself pain, he can easily get up, brush himself off and move forward.  He may need a quick cuddle of reassurance, but then he is quickly squirming away and off to conquer what knocked him down.

My little Bam Bam...

But when I deny him another spoonfull of peanut butter? Or refuse to open a gate to let him fetch something he tossed over? Or otherwise say "no" to some seemingly pointless object that he Must. Have. NOW...?

Look out -because tough guy becomes a hot hysterical mess in .2 seconds...


and boy, does he play it up...

Before I moved to Motherland, USA I would occasionally find myself on the phone with a mama who had a screaming child in the background, and I would blame the piss poor parenting skills of the mama.

Yup, that is on that list I call "Naivete: pre-baby social skills of the ignorant."

And that, is an embarrasingly long list...

And now?

I totally blame the genetics of the father...

and that, too, is a pretty long list...

I joke, I joke...

(sort of)

;)

2 comments:

Jaime said...

You crack me up! I can totally relate to the all boy thing, oh and the list I have of things I blame on my BD's genetics gets longer everyday!

Mad Mrs. E said...

thanks Jaime! Here's a virtual high 5!