As a follow up to my last post, and for prosperity, I thought I'd share the moment I found out we were having a Milo.
When I was preggo with de Milo, I had a Myspace account. I had blogged on it a few times in regards to the pregnancy...It's funny to go back to my pregnancy journal and read how easily angered and annoyed I would get..at most everything...
At least I hope that was just a pregnancy thing...
Anyhoos, here's a little story on my 20 week sonagram -It's a BOY!!
So Receptionist Lady at La Sonagrame de Navy Medicale was everything and more as my baby daddy (BD) and I approached for our long anticipated 20 week sonagram. This appointment took FOREVER to schedule due to the fact that I had to talk to one SPECIFIC person.
Everytime I called I spoke to the one nice and responsive receptionist in the hospital (Not to mention a specific hospital, but it's the one known as "The Presidents Hospital." I'm sure you can figure it out from there. And if they sent me a satisfaction survey, I'd be more than happy to fill it out.) who politely informed me the girl (who incidentally sits right next to her, using the same computer terminal -nice use of man power) is gone. Possibly up to an hour. And, no, she herself, could not schedule the appointment for me. She does medical something or other sonagram appointments. The other does the OB sonagram appointments. Awesome.
This is an example of Radical Acceptance.
Let's just say she wasn't at her desk very often. Like the 3 times I called to schedule the damn thing.
So we finally scheduled the appointment. It's April 2 and we are finally checking in with the infamous "fresh out of bootcamp I hate my job because there are no windows and I'm surrounded by crazy pregnant bitches all day -lady." It's not so much that she looked at me as if I had the audacity to approach her with a smile because she is stuck in a dreary basement setting for hours on end (oh, but let's not mention the 3 hour lunches I know the witch is taking) it was more how friendly she was to the other 2 couples who came in after me to check in. BD was noticing this as well, as we sat for 45 minutes in the waiting room. She would smile at the lovely preggers and committed BDs as they approached her prestigious post. She even informed one BD how he will have to stay in the waiting room for the 1st part of the sonogram and then will be called in when appropriate. How nice...I would've liked to have been oriented regarding protocol when I checked in instead of reading the 1972 memo on the wall...
My BD turns to me and asks if I would like for him to speak to her about her condescending attitude towards me and her lack of customer service skills. I say no, because we are civilized and sober and do not need to make a scene unless otherwise indicated. Instead I take notes and silently judge her from a safe distance.
Finally my name is called and BD stays seated, albeit patiently, because, we are future parents and are working on our maturity and trying real hard not to question authority...too much. We are picking our battles. But, seriously, after all was said and done -why couldn't he have been there for the entire show?
As I enter the closet that will reveal my Rockstar as a boy or a girl, hermaphrodite or stub, I let the tech know I am in a good mood, please don't be a bitch and ruin this moment, in so many words:
Me: "We are very excited about today's results..."
She immediately turns to me asks, "First baby?"
I'd like to think I would be a bit excited anytime I'm sashaying into a room (closet) for the 20 week sonagram...but I suppose she has seen her share of Navy folk coming through that are more nonchalant about these things after the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th pregnancy...
A nice surprise was how warm the gel was -all those other times you're jumping out of your skin from the freezer burn inducing gel that is oozing from this seemingly harmless tube.
Me: "Wow! That's really warm!"
Her: "It's nice isn't it?"
Is she hitting on me? Awesome.
So she goes through clicking away and measuring all the parts that make up Little E. I start guessing at the different body parts she is measuring. She is impressed that I could identify the spine. I'm feeling good. She asks me if I'm "local" and I give her the short version of the story. She asks me how I met my BD and I tell her though trial and error. She asked me "How did you know he was the One?" I respond that I thought he was cute and I liked that he had a steady job. He introduced me to sushi and lamb chops. I introduced him to wine and gay men. We were obvs meant for each other...
She then tells me about her 4 children, her divorce, and how one of her daughters set her up on a date recently. She liked him but wanted to dip her foot in other ponds before shaving her legs, or whatever...
She is now my new BFF.
Then she tells me, "I've got to tell you, you've got one cute baby here."
Me: "I'm sure you say that to all the girls."
Her: "No, you really do."
She is totally my new BFF.
Me: "uhmm...how can you tell that it's cute?"
BFF: "Look at its face and profile." (narrows in on the face)
She has now restored my faith in Navy Medical. These people are real professionals. But I'm getting antsy because BD really needs to see all this. She finishes up her clicking and measuring and off she goes to get BD. The first thing he says is "Don't tell me!"
Don't worry babe, we're finding out together what lies ahead, or beneath rather...
My BFF comes back in and gives my BD a glimpse of how far the sperm/egg fusion has come. Zooming in on the feet, legs, arms, and that cute baby face. She squirts more lub, er gel, on my stomach and we search for the tell tale signs.
Here I am, gel/lube on my belly, moments before my BFF tells me what the sex is...
BFF: "Before I tell you the sex, why do you think it's a boy or a girl?"
Me: "Well, my parents think it's a girl...but I just think it's a boy...maybe it's because I haven't gained much weight, y'know, those old wives takes..."
BFF: "See here...there's a boy part!"
Tears, joy, happiness among men, women and children ensue. (Except no tears from BD, he doesn't cry. Then again, the room was dark and I bet he was really red-eyed) We wrap up and BD is asked to leave due to needing to do one more little "procedure" to ensure all is well -I'll spare the details...but all is well...
I step back into the waiting room, I am a beam of sunshine in that Grey Dank Basement Ultrasound Section of the President's Hospital...I all but shout "IT'S A BOY!!" to the crowd of parents to be and stink eye girl at the receptionist desk. I cling to my pictures, grab my BD's arm and skip off to revel in knowing we are going to have one fine looking baby boy in 20 some-odd more weeks...
and p.s.? She was totally right...



No comments:
Post a Comment