Sunday, January 10, 2010

On wandering and purpose

What is this thing they call age-appropriate? The other morning we went to the local community center and participated in an obstacle course with about 15 or so other toddlers.  This is as much fun as you would expect.  15 kids. One room.  Bless you kindergarten teachers! Milo buys into this chaos for about 15 or so minutes...

 "Why are you making me walk on this...piece. of. wood. NOT. FUN."


"Am I entertaining? Why are you taking a PICTURE? NOT SMILING =NOT FUN."

But he gets restless and overwhelmed so Milo discovers the door and he's outta there!  Of course, I initially wanted to pull him back in -force him to stay in the room -jumping, crawling, balancing, tumbling with the other kids: "THIS IS SO FUN, LOOK MILO...HEY BACK HERE, STAY WITH MAMA!"...but I decided to let him go explore with daddy....because, really, I couldn't blame the kid...


And my little Marco Polo wanders down the hall and discovers...

a room SO BIG SO QUIET with one lone man playing basketball (not pictured)...


WoW! The Wonderment! He just stood there (which is novel in and of itself) and watched a man play basketball.  His eyes followed the ball, dribbling up and down, swoosh through the basket and bouncing around the court -the sound echoing clearly. His eyes scanned the bleachers, looked up to the skylights and scoreboard. I felt like I was witnessing a moment in my little boy...


"Wait a minute daddy, just one more minute..."

Funny when given a room full of age-appropriate (more or less) playthings and friends, Milo wanders into the Gym and seems to be more calm, happy and, dare I say, inspired...Moments like these always make me wonder about foreshadowing...and what we consider "age-appropriate."

I know that just because he dances to adult-alternative music doesn't mean he's going to become a pro modern dancer or an indie musician. Or when he "fist pumps" in the car to Lady Gaga, it doesn't mean he's going to be a conductor of a symphony orchestra. Or a gay club DJ.
I  know just because he prefers an "adult" spoon to a plastic spoon while eatting his cereal doesn't mean he's going to be a Food Network Star.
And just because he was awe-struck by the basketball court doesn't mean he's going to sign a 25 million dollar contract with the NBA and buy mama a waterfront, Mediterranean style home in Tahiti.

But, as a mother, it sure is fun to muse on all the roads my little one can take. Soon enough I'll be looking into his eyes, saying what so many other parents have said to their young ones who are exploring their interests, their lives...finding a talent, a passion...

"You can do whatever you set your mind to."

and truely mean it.

-even if it isn't recognized in a room considered to be full of age appropriate-ness...As many parents have discovered...it's the toys outside the box that are way more fun...


Doesn't this pic say 25 million dollar contract ALL OVER IT?

2 comments:

Mikaela said...

Love this. Just had a similar experience at an art class...where all the Tatiman wanted to do was see which crayons and markers could fit into various small spaces in the room. Loved watching him explore the room the way he wanted...oh, and by the way, *I* can make a paper plate snowman better than any 17 month old kid. BOO YA!

Mad Mrs. E said...

Yeah...I've rediscovered those mega blocks...I'm AWESOME at some mega blocking...;)