I've had a nose ring for, I believe, about 8 or so years now. It was a random act of best friend adventure. He got an eyebrow ring. I opted for the nose. Very much like the time we got a tattoo together when he came to visit me my senior year of college. I've had my nose peirced for so long that I forget it's there. Even though it's smack in the middle of my face, I don't see it or feel it. It's like a freckle. A tiny silver ball of a freckle.
Pretty harmless I 'd say.
So when I come across someone who judges me for the 3rd hole in my nose or the tat on my back (which is a tiny little butterfly on my left shoulder blade. I know, SATANIC.) I get that stabby feeling...Y'know, the whole -I really want to be accepting and cool and mature about this but you're saying to my face that face peircings and tattoos especially on women are trashy -that they come across as unprofessional -that people only get these things because they want to be thought of as "different" or "antisocial." It couldn't possibly be in the ballpark of when people wear rings/bracelets/necklaces/earrings. GASP! Hoops in the ears are offensive!!
(Oh, yeah, btw, this was coming from a psychiatric nurse. Nice)
It's called cultural competence. And as a person who works with not only a diverse population, but with a population who are mentally ill, I expect you to have the ability to accept, communicate with, and effectively interact with people across cultures. Who have different world views. Not bad, not wrong, just different.
Please to check your bias at the door. Mmkthx.
Please to become interested in others world views. It's part of being an effective worker in the mental health field. It's part of winning friends and influencing people.
And then there was some words regarding peircing baby girl ears and how just awful that is and how could you...blahblahblah...
And at the time I was so dumbfounded that someone I liked and respected was telling me all this. And all I could say was,
"Wow...okay."
And they were all, "Well, at least I'm telling you to your face."
Yeah, at least you're being rude and ignorant RIGHT OUT LOUD.
That's great.
I went home that night feeling so in a funk. I was actually questioning my decision to maintain my nose ring. The tat I can easily cover up. But, damn, I'm 32. A mother. Should I be wearing this? What image am I sending? Is this good for my son? Will people still take me seriously in the work place and socially?! As a mother??
Yeah, self doubt SUCKS. Especially when you are overtired and it's one in the morning.
So I came home, kicked off my shoes, grabbed a slice of leftover pizza and turned on the tv.
And saw this commercial:
And, BAM. I got my mojo back.
Yup, from a 36 second Holiday Inn commercial.
And I didn't even have to cut a bitch...
ps. On a side note, the UK version of this commercial (seen above) has the chick with the pink hair. The US version does not...interesting, huh?
4 comments:
That's great. I mean, I wouldn't let you around my kid because you're clearly a bad influence, but you shouldn't change because someone else is ignorant.
KIDDING! About not letting you around my kid part. I love that commercial! Especially the "Stay Dad" part. Kinda made me cry a little but don't tell!!
I want to get my nose re-pierced! So bad! I took it out a couple years ago. I think it looks really cool, and I think you're really cool too. That person is obviously drowning in her own self doubt and insecurity so severely that she is taking it out on other people who have done nothing to deserve judgement. I feel bad for her.
Eh, people need bigger fish to fry than your nose ring. Wear it always. Also, loved the spilled milk post :)
Sounds like a SMIB in action, product of their environment is my diagnosis. Remedy? roadtrip baby..hugs honey- getting messages from the universe in commercials- you're damn straight you got your mojo going and a little wiser too, love love, and mo'.
go TEAM LYNSEY! I mean...MME!! thanks for the support,ya'll...sometimes a girl just needs a little ice cream hug from the blogosphere!
Post a Comment