"Milo, I'm gonna need you to mow the lawn this morning." "Aw, ma, c'mon...it's too hot to be out there today," my son complained. "Well, you promised me last week this would get done, and now, I can feel the grass on my knees..."
"Your knees, mom? Dramatic much?"
I looked at him, evenly, lips in a thin line. I didn't like him challenging me. Though, of course, I reminded myself, it's the age. The task of the teenager is to individuate. Sigh.
"Sorry, ma" he replied half apologetically. "Besides, the mosquitos are addicted to my blood. I have 26 bites on me!"
"26 bites? Dramatic much?" I said, happy that I could still volley the ball, so to speak.
"Can't I mow the grass tomorrow? It's supposed to be less humid..."
"Milo, I'm much more interested in the grass being cut today. I'll have lunch waiting for you upon your return."
"'Lunch waiting for me? Upon my return? Since when did you become Mary Poppins?"
"Mary who?" I teased.
Milo rolled his eyes. "What's for lunch anyways?" Milo's voice raised in solid hope that Italian sausage and peppers would be on the menu.
I smiled, knowingly, then threw him the bottle of bug spray. He caught it easily with his left hand.
"Put those mosquitos in withdrawal, I'll see at noon."


2 comments:
Does he even own pants? I'm becoming skeptical. ;)
I know it's hard to tell...but he does have pants on!! Promise!
Post a Comment