Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Kindergarten, Day one.

I'd like to call this post, "why the FUCK am I crying?!"



So here's this kid. That I love more than eyesight. That I love more than love. That I exist more than sleep. That I breathe more than a Merlot needs to after uncorking. 

My first born. My consciously conceived. That I've lost my brain-and-sane more times than I care to care. That I've reevaluated and underestimated and begged for mercy more times than I've had glasses of wine...
 
(today)

Let me get to the point...

...Is starting kindergarten. 
Orientation, the day before day one.
"We Line Up Quiet!"

Is.

Starting. 

Kinder-fucking-Garten. 

And I understand this is the natural progression of things. Of life. I'm not an oblivious idiot who presumed my baby would remain on pause until I screamed "UNCLE!"  

But still. 
 

There's gonna be a bus. There's gonna be 8 pre-sharpened pencils in his backpack. Along with 10 erasable markers, 26 crayons, 3 pocketed folders, a pink erasure, scissors, a lunch box, a change of clothes...
 
Chief Daddy took the morning off to participate in this momentous parent/child milestone.
 

And he's gonna kiss me with a half hearted hug up against my tight, unrelenting embrace, with a "love you too, mom" (if I'm lucky), board that bus and then go be a kindergartener. 

Without me. 
 

And I will gather up my almost 2yo, wave after a bus filled with kids bouncing on seats (without carseats OMG stop thinking about it!!) and wish him well. Wish them ALL well. 

Because.... I have to. 

And then I'll probably go pour a glass of that Merlot that's been breathing for the past hour because...

MILO is starting KINDERGARTEN. 
 
Kindergarten, Day One. 
You got this, Milo-Man...
 
 
 

No comments: